Every once in a while, it is fun for my wife and I to pretend to be tourists. Lots of other locals do this – Why should our beloved tourists get to have all the fun? Today, we took a day off from Gatlinburg real estate marketing and instead took two of our three grandchildren to Dollywood. If you have never visited Dollywood, or haven’t in a long time, you really should come and see what all the fuss is about. As the single largest commercial draw in our Smoky Mountains, Dollywood entertains a tremendous number of people each year and today was no different. After opening last weekend to a huge crowd, Dollywood was again busy today but the lines were bearable and the weather, although a touch cool, was very pretty. Here’s my list of things not to miss if you do decide to visit Dollywood:
- Ride the train! As one of the few working coal-fired steam engine trains in the United States, this is a real treat and the 20 minute ride is included in the price of admission.
- Take in a show! With several different live shows to choose from, as well as a large number of visiting artists throughout the season, there is a lot to enjoy for almost everyone.
- Visit the craft area and watch glass being blown or see how hard a job blacksmithing really was.
- Eat a meal in the park. Although the food certainly isn’t bargain priced, it really is quite good and there is a pretty extensive variety as well.
- Bring a grandchild or someone who is young at heart! If you like roller coasters, Dollywood has them!